Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Pin It

My Mentoring Session with Davina!

Monday, February 25, 2008

The first photography conference I attended I had an honor to hear Davina Fear speak. I really connected with her. She was a mom of 4 and had a really successful photography business in Utah.
I really admired her. It's so hard in this business to have a family. It would be nice to spend $1000.00 a month on new equipment or workshops but with 2 kids and a husband, it's just not going to happen. So when you find another mom struggling to make it all work, I think you latch on and hold tight to get any kind of help you can. And that's what I got from Davina.
I remember her showing us this adorable slideshow of her family and talking about how much of a mom she is. (she even drives the mini-van) :)- And even so, she is an awesome photographer. One who inspires and gets me motivated to be a great wife, mother and photographer all in one.
A few months back she held a contest on her blog for women to write in about their stories. I of course postponed my entry until the last minute because that's my life but still got it in in time. And although I didn't win the $500.00 scholarship, she gave me a free mentoring session with her, which honestly I think was even better! :)
We had a series of 2 sessions, one was at the beginning of December. She was able to give me a great deal of advice, areas to look at, ways to improve and also just talked to me. My second session was after the holidays at the beginning of February. I was able to change my website a little bit (I hope you noticed) and we just followed up to our session before.
At the end of the day, business success or not, she's still a mother and you still have to balance it all whether you are successful, just starting out, or are just trying to get to the next level. She's so down to earth and so helpful and I think really knows what it's like to be in my shoes.
Thank you so much Davina, for helping me sort out what's important, for helping me with an easier way of looking at everything and for being such an inspiration. You have been such a great help!
You can check out her blog posting here and what she wrote about me :)

2 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Hi Mandy -

Love your header! It looks AWESOME! How cool to have 2 mentoring sessions with Davina. Hope all is well!

Tami Proffitt said...

She wrote beautifully about you! Congratulations on the session. It sure sounds like you deserved it.