Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Pin It

A funny little story....

Wednesday, August 11, 2010



So years ago when Mike and I were first married, we talked about having 3 or 4 kids. It just seemed right to us. And little man Hunter came along and he was a lot more than we knew had to handle so for the sake of our sanity we kind froze the number at 2 kids. I never was 100% definite that we wouldn't have any more kids. Mike was but there was always a little voice in the back of my head telling me to have another one. So I kept all the kids clothes. Instead of giving them away when they grew out of them I saved them all. With having a boy and a girl, and the not knowing if you'd have another one or what sex it would be it just seemed smart of me to keep them.
In my head there would be a lot of money saved in having the third have the hand me downs. So one by one I started packing all the baby clothes into bins and piling them up in the garage. And every time I packed one, I roughly thought that was "Bin #10". My mind kept reassuring myself," oh it's ok, it's only 10 bins of clothes, that isn't too bad."
Well a few months ago, Mike and I were cleaning out and rearranging the garage and I started to count the number of bins that we had of clothes. Again this was in my mind another way to reassure myself that I only had about 10 or so.....
1,2,....5....10....17...23......27.......30,31!! 31 bins of baby clothes and toddler clothes!!!! Can you imagine how much garage space that is taken up. So I promised Mike that by the end of the year I would go through all 31 bins of clothes, sort them and either sell them, give them away or pack away my absolute favorites.
So I started today with 3 bins. Yep you guessed it, I bawled my eyeballs out. This is way harder than I thought it would be. Especially to look at the little baby clothes. Your mind starts racing and thinking about when they were that little, where they wore that outfit. All moms have little stories about their clothes, they got sick in that shirt at the restaurant or they wore that home from the hospital, this they wore their first Christmas.... the list can go on and on.
I finally got through the 3 bins and did actually really well with the items that I kept. I think Mike would be proud of how little I kept. This task won't be an easy one for me and certainly not fun to have to get rid of so many memories. It's not just about getting rid of the clothes, it's closing the door on some memories and having to rely on your head to remember these little things.

So wish we luck in getting through the next 28 bins and keep me in your prayers. I have to keep thinking positive and maybe just maybe one day, we'll have enough room to get my car back in the garage! :)


1 comment:

Jo said...

Wow! I think I have 5 bins? That would be tough going through that many. :)